Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Bella Dress: Free PDF Pattern and Tutorial

UPDATE: FOR THE FREE PATTERN WITH MULTIPLE SIZES GO HERE TO GET IT QUICK!

Yeppers- I actually finished cleaning up my Bella dress pattern last night so that I could share it with you today! I originally hand-drafted the pattern when I first made it but I would've been too embarrassed to share that ugly mess with you so I worked for a few hours on Illustrator to get it all prettified for all you sewing enthusiasts!

This is my first pattern I'm offering for free and it's made to my daughter's specific measurements. She's a small 4T with a 19" waist. The finished waist on the dress measures approximately 22" for a comfortable but not too loose fit on her.

Okay- so once you've downloaded, cut and taped your pattern together, let's go through a quick tutorial on how to put it together!


Materials needed: piping/lace trim (optional), 12"-18" zipper, two or more fabrics and your usual sewing stuff like thread, pins etc.

Don't forget to read my set of instructions on the pdf pattern if you want to put in a full lining for the bodice! And if you have any problems or questions, my email is on the sidebar to the right! 

Let's get sewing, shall we? =)







For step 7 below, don't line up the top of the zipper with the top of the bodice! Leave a little seam allowance there for the lining! I goofed on the pic and had to redo my zipper!



In step 10, my front bodice was slightly smaller than the back bodice. I fixed the pattern so that this won't happen when you do yours. The dress still fit K perfectly even though it didn't line up perfectly.




Oops, I forgot to photograph the sleeves being pinned to the bodice, but you totally get how to do it right? Pretty easy but if you have questions, shoot me an email and I will help you through it! =)



Shake out your brand new dress and do a happy dance! You've just made the Bella dress for your special little girl and hopefully, she'll look happier about it than K does below, haha!


I hope you enjoyed this free pattern and tutorial! I'd love to see how you've personalized your Bella dress so please do email pics to me and I'll post them up on my blog for inspiration to other sewing enthusiasts!

And just a quick note for those who want a different size- this pattern should be very easy to size up or down as needed simply by adjusting the width and length of the bodice and skirt. If sizing up/down more than two sizes from 4T, then adjust the armhole as well. 

Thanks so much for stopping by today! Happy sewing!

xoxo ~ Julia

This post is linked to Link Party Palooza @Tatertots & Jello.
Linked to Tasteful Tuesdays @ Nap-Time Creations.

36 comments:

  1. Adorable! I love the fabric you used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by! =)
      -Julia

      Delete
  2. Such a cute pattern, I'm following you from the Sunday Linky. Can't wait to discover more of what you do. I might have to make this dress for my little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire- thanks for stopping by and following! Hope you're having a lovely weekend!
      -Julia

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! I've been sewing for over 10 years (when I find time... I am by no means an expert!) yet I've always been intimidated to sew clothing. I have a daughter who just turned 4 and I think I'll try tackling this one. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, once you start, you won't be able to stop! Good luck- this one is actually great for beginners! Thanks for stopping by!
      -Julia

      Delete
  4. This is beautifull...I love the dress! Thank you for the inspiration and the free pattern! Pinning for future use :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a unique designer looking way to put in a zipper. I've got try that! I enJOYed the inspiration you provided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the easiest and quickest way I've learned to install a zipper! It looks great too.
      -Julia

      Delete
  6. That is such an adorable dress Julia! and what a nice clear tutorial too! The ruffle strip on the front of the dress is so pretty.

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress for a sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is FANTASTIC! I love the ruffle in the front-so girly. Once I muster the courage to sew zippers, I'm so making this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very adorable! So feminine and just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just adorable! Thanks for sharing the free pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this dress!!! I printed everything out except the pattern... tried a few different ways and are still having troubles :( Any chance I could please get it emailed or someone could point me in the right direction as to what else I can try. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki- sorry you're having so much trouble. If you open the pattern with Google Docs, you can print right from there. Leave scaling at 100% since I designed the pattern for 8.5x11 paper. If you're still having problems, I can email you the pattern. Use my email address at the right to send me your info. Thanks!
      ~Julia

      Delete
  12. Hi Julia,

    I am new to Pinterest & triple love all your work!! I can't wait to make this. Your model/daughter is scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! I love what I do and I love that there are people like you who appreciate it! =)

      Delete
  13. I just adore the ruffle down the front and the little capped sleeves... a beautiful dress. Thanks for sharing the pattern. Hope you don't mind, but I've pinned. I'd love you to share this and any other dresses, at our Ongoing Link Party that's just for Girls' Dresses...
    http://www.threadingmyway.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-dresses-for-girls.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so amazing. I really enjoyed and love your work very much. Thank you so much for sharing
    integrated receivables management

    ReplyDelete
  15. This old lady must be losing it -- where do you download the pattern????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you're not! I removed it since I'm working on making a multi-size pattern and improving the old one! It should be available about mid-March! Thanks so much for your patience!

      Delete
  16. I just bought fabric to make this! I can't wait for the pattern! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dress is so cute. Can't wait for the pattern. Need to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sooooooooooooo excited for this pattern to become available!!! Thanks so much for making it! I am going to make an Easter dress for my 9m old. (she can fit 18m) The dress is ADORABLE! You rock. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. so sweet! Thanks for sharing the free pattern. I do this as well.. share when I make a pattern for my kids.. usually just in that one particular size ;o) I just want wanted to let you know that I've put together a post called 20+ free sewing patterns for kids and this is part of it!! I've spread the word all around and I hope you will see some extra visits ;o) Emily http://nap-timecreations.com/2014/04/20-free-sewing-patterns-for-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. For planning sake (going to buy fabric)
    How much fabric do I need? (prob making this in 3 or 4 size)

    ReplyDelete
  21. also, LOVE the fabric used in the "official" photo at the top (with the red piping)... where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. thank you for this free pattern. I used it. if you want to see it
    http://baharinelleri.blogspot.com.tr/2015/05/pnara-iki-yeni-yazlk-elbise.html
    i will glad to your visit

    ReplyDelete